Avoid These Household Pet Poisons

I received a newsletter from McAlister & Young – www.mcalisterandyoung.com. It included these wonderful tips for your loving pets.

A home can be a dangerous place for your pets. Because they’re so curious, they will often test any substance that smells good or just looks interestiong. Many substances can cause illness or even death! Here are seven common household pet poisons to avoid:

  • Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol and other medications, can damage your dog’s liver. It also can be fatal to a cat.
  • Chocolate can cause a dog or cat to experience seizures. The darker chocolate, like baker’s chocolate, is more dangerous because it has higher levels of methylzanthine. Symptoms of choclate poisoning can be vomiting, dearrhea, or irregular heart rhythms.
  • Unbaked yeast dough can be lethal. It can expand in the stomach of your pet. When the pet rolls around, the dough can twist the stomach and cut off blood supply. Alcohol prduced by the yeast also can lead to repiratory failure or seizures.
  • Prescription medicines left on the counter or dropped on the floor are easy for your pet to find and ingest. Cardia crugs, antidepressants, and ADHD medications ar partcularly dangerous to pets.
  • Xylitol is found in chewing gum, toothpaste and breath mints as a sugar-free sweetener. When dogs ingest the substance, it can drop blood sugar levels or lead to liver failure.
  • Coins that contain zinc can case anemia or even failure of the liver, kedney or heart. One zinc penny (1983 or newer) can kill a small dog.
  • Ethylene glycol used in antifreeze and other car products can be fatal The sweet taste attracts both

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *